Larry the Cake Guy

Larry the Cake Guy

"A party without a cake is really just a meeting." Julia Child

Monday, February 14, 2011

Fondant Class

My next step after my first cake for profit was to take a fondant class at Michaels, the craft store in Abbotsford. I had already taken a basic cake decorating class there when I first started out in my quest to be a cake decorator. Let me tell you, if you are at all interested in cake decorating these classes are a great idea. My instructor was a lady named Kerry Proudfoot and she is fantastic. I am taking another class with Kerry right now, learning more about making flowers.

Anyway, every course ends with making a cake. For this course I chose to do a basket of fall leaves for my cake since the family needed a cake for Thanksgiving. So this cake is covered in fondant and the sides of the barrel and the leaves and flowers inside it are all gum paste. One thing I learned was not to use only gum paste when making really thin leaves. Gum paste dries out when exposed to air and the leaves became very brittle. Luckily I had made a lot because I broke many of them trying to place them on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment