Larry the Cake Guy

Larry the Cake Guy

"A party without a cake is really just a meeting." Julia Child

Monday, February 14, 2011

My first cake I was paid for

So my intent here is to post a history of the cakes I have already done and then we will go on from there with new cakes as they come along.

This cake was the first cake I was ever hired to do. Up to this point I had practiced my craft only on birthday cakes for family. I'm sure there were many cases where they were forced to politely compliment my early faltering attempts. I am so grateful that they let me learn from my mistakes at their expense.

This cake came about when a guy asked my good friend Phil Bonk, owner of J & B's Candy Shop in Abbotsford if he knew anyone who did cakes. Phil called me to ask if I was still doing cakes and I jumped at the opportunity.

To say I was nervous would be an understatement. This wasn't family, this was a paying customer. The cake was for a retirement party for a Corrections Officer. He wanted the cake to have the Corrections Canada logo. So I went to work. The cake is in buttercream icing (I hadn't learned to work with fondant yet) and if you notice, he asked me to change the wording in the logo from Corrections Officer to "catering service for convicts."

One sad part to this story however, when he was transporting the cake to the party he had to slam on his brakes and the cake went flying, which ended up damaging a portion of the cake. I felt awful when I found out. Please learn from this. Cakes are a fragile creation. They must be protected from any and all possible occurrences.

No comments:

Post a Comment